Xavi Hernandez will step down as coach of Barcelona at the end of the season, citing the need for a “change of direction” and the toll the job has taken on his health and well-being. Despite having a contract that runs until the following summer, Xavi announced that he will not continue beyond June 30, 2024. Describing the job as “cruel and unpleasant,” he expressed his feelings of “liberation” at walking away from a role that he believes has not provided the respect and appreciation he deserves.
The decision comes after a string of poor results and performances, including a 5-3 home defeat against Villarreal that left Barcelona 10 points behind the league leaders, Real Madrid. Xavi revealed that the discussions leading to his announcement had been ongoing and that he had taken the decision a few days before making it public. He emphasized that he made the decision with the best interests of the club, players, and directors in mind, stating that he did not want to be a problem for the organization.
Xavi’s exit marks the end of his tenure as coach, which began in November 2021 when he took over from Ronald Koeman. Despite leading Barcelona to the league title in his first full season, he acknowledged that the team’s performances and results have been subpar this season, with unexplained poor showings. Finally, Xavi stated that it was impossible for him to continue as Barcelona’s coach for many years, despite previous speculation about his long-term role with the club.
News Highlight :
– Xavi Hernandez will step down as coach of Barcelona at the end of the season, feeling “liberated” from a job he described as “cruel and unpleasant.”
– He decided some time ago that he would not continue beyond June 30, even though his contract runs until the following summer.
– Xavi said the club needs a “change of direction”, and that leaving is “the right thing” for him as a Barcelona fan.
– The decision followed a poor performance, and he did not tell the players immediately after a 5-3 home defeat against Villarreal.
– Barcelona’s performance and results have been poor this season, and Xavi led them to the league title in his first full season as coach, but did not have an explanation for their struggles this season.